View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 10:09 am

Conspiracy Theory and Coronal Hole 
Site Admin

Post Conspiracy Theory and Coronal Hole
Two points but first.
I don't want to offend those of a conspiracy nature...
As a good friend states. "imagination is man's greatest tool" (something in that order)
Yet accurate knowledge is truth.
Ok much talk is going on about the huge and very impressive coronal hole facing the Earth.
The best current view is in the 193 Angstroms channel by SDO/AIA and can be found here: http://www.sflorg.com/spaceweather/current/aia_193.html
Is this impending doom? Is this going to cause mass earthquakes?... NO
We can expect the solar winds to reach Earth on June 8th. I personally believe we'll see KP indexes in the range of 4-5.
Although this is a very large hole, it may also hinder its strengths some from personal observations in the past. (not based on scientific data) I like to look at it this way... Shake up a soda bottle and release the pressure. It will spew with much pressure, yet if the opening is larger the volume release is greater, yet the overall pressure is diminished.
Again this is not always the case, yet again from personal observation seems to be so majority of the time.
Yes the plasma in the solar wind stream will be high, but don't expect much more then 10 nPa in density or the solar winds to reach above 600-700 km s-1. if even it gets there... so rest your mind.
This a coronal hole and not a CME.
Well time will tell, and if I am right... listen and learn, and if I am wrong... I'll do the same.
Heidi-Ann

June 6th, 2010, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW